Makes four servings.
Per serving: 200 calories, 6 grams total fat (1.8 grams saturated fat), 2 grams carbohydrates, 32 grams protein, 1 gram dietary fibre, 209 milligrams sodium
- Canola oil cooking spray
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (four thick pieces)
- 3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp green onions, finely chopped, including the stems
- 1 medium red bell pepper, 1/2 diced, 1/2 sliced
- 1 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt (canola mayonnaise may be substituted)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 7- by 11-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Carefully cut about a one-inch wide slit into the thick end of each chicken breast. Insert knife to create a fairly deep pocket.
- Combine cheese, green onions, red pepper, yogurt, lemon juice and hot sauce in mixing bowl.
- Divide mixture into four portions and use a spoon to stuff breasts. Secure openings with wooden toothpicks inserted at an angle so meat lays flat. Place in prepared pan.
- Brush olive oil over top of chicken and sprinkle with parsley, then pepper and salt, if using.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Let stand about five minutes.
- Garnish with red pepper slices and serve.