Serves 4 • Size: 375 millilitres (1 ½ cups)
Nutritional information per serving: 132 kcal; 4 grams fat; 0.3 grams saturated fat; 24 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams fibre; 6 grams protein
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 250 ml (1 cup) grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 can (443 ml) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 60 ml (1 ¼ cup) red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 medium lime (grated peel and juiced)
- 10 ml (2 teaspoons) cider vinegar
- 15 ml (1 Tablespoon) canola oil
- 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) pepper
- Combine all ingredients in bowl.
- Toss gently and blend. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate up to four hours.
Healthy Tip: This versatile, healthy salad contains more than eight grams of fibre per serving. To get your daily orange vegetable serving with this dish, top the salad with 125 millilitres (1/2 cup) of grated carrot. Add the salad to a chicken wrap for lunch, or serve it as a side with dinner.
Karol Sekulic is a registered dietitian with Alberta Health Services who has expertise and interest in the areas of weight management, nutrition and communications.