Serving Size: Approximately 1 cup (250 mL)
Nutritional information: 293 kcal; 10 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 23 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fibre; 29 grams protein. From the Pure Prairie Eating Plan, by Dr. Catherine Chan and Dr. Rhonda Bell
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) stewing beef, cut into one inch (2.5-cm) cubes
- 1 ½ tsp (7 mL) canola oil
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- ¼ cup (60 mL) ketchup
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) vinegar
- 1 ½ tsps (7 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- ½ large onion, chopped
- ¼ green pepper, cut in strips
- 1 ½ carrots, slices
- 1 ½ potatoes, cubed
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in bowl. Coat beef in flour mixture.
- Heat canola oil and brown meat (on all sides) in large skillet.
- In another bowl, combine water, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Stir into browned meat. Add onion; cover. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining vegetables. Cook until meat and vegetables are tender – approximately 45 minutes.
Hot tip: Got leftovers? Freeze portions in freezer bags, labelled and dated. Use within two months.