Serving Size: Approximately 2 cups
Nutrition Information: 190 kcal, 1 g fat, 0.3 g saturated fat, 37 g carbohydrates, 9 g fibre, 7 g protein.
This recipe was developed by Progressive Foods Inc. and appears in Pure Prairie Eating Plan, by Dr. Catherine Chan and Dr. Ronda Bell
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup Quick Cooking Barley
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- a pinch of pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh assorted mushrooms
- 3/4 cup shredded carrot
- 3 Tbsp snipped fresh parsley
- cup chopped celery
- In a large saucepan, bring vegetable broth to boiling. Stir in onion, garlic, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, carrot and celery. Add Quick Cooking Barley, cover and let simmer about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.