- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup margarine (using this instead of butter makes the recipe vegan)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 regular-sized package of semi-sweet chocolate chips (the recipe is vegan if no milk or animal products are used as a chocolate ingredient)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 2 tsp plain apple sauce (may adjust amount to taste or preferred consistency)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Sift and mix dry ingredientstogether.Cream sugar and margarine together in a large bowl.
- Dissolve baking soda completely in hot water then pour into creamed mixture and stir until blended.
- Add apple sauce to creamed mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- Add chocolate chips gradually and stir until evenly distributed.
- Make a tablespoon-sized cookie ball with a spoon to check the mixture’s consistency. If the mixture is firm and damp (not soaking), then you can place it on a baking sheet (no need to grease the pan). Slightly press the top of the dough ball down with a fork. Do not flatten. Repeat until all the dough is used. Provide space between cookies as they will spread out slightly while cooking.
- If the mixture is still dry, flaky and not keeping its ball shape, add more apple sauce to the mixture in very small amounts, 1/2 tsp, for example.
- Place in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before taking a bite of deliciousness!