- 3 Tbsp butter (or margarine)
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1½ cups of milk
- 1 to 2 cups of grated cheese (type of cheese and amount depends on your palate)
- 1 box (375 grams) of whole wheat macaroni
- Melt butter in a sauce pan and add flour gradually. Keep stirring the two together over medium-low heat. When butter and flour are mixed together as best you can, add the milk to mixture, roughly one third at a time.
- Keep stirring.
- When you have added all the milk and the mixture has thickened, take it off the heat.
- Now add cheese! Add about one to two cups of grated cheese to the white sauce gradually, giving the cheese time to melt before adding more. Get creative and add a mixture of cheeses (old cheddar, parmesan, jack, marble) to suit your taste, and – voila – mac and cheese, no neon orange powder required.