The book offers great tips on preparing and cooking all kinds of beans, and fitting them seamlessly into every course and any meal. Even breakfast.
- Vegetable or olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, crushed or chopped
- 4 cups cooked red kidney beans, or 2 cans (540 mL size), drained
- 4 to 5 plum tomatoes, chopped, or 1 can (398 mL) diced or stewed tomatoes
- ¼ cup Pickapeppa sauce*
- Hot, cooked rice
* Jamaican seasoning available at most grocery stores
Heat a drizzle of oil in a large saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, red pepper, and garlic and sauté for about 10 minutes, until the onion starts to turn golden. Add the beans, tomatoes, and Pickapeppa sauce and bring to a simmer. Turn the heat down, cover, and cook for about 1 hour, until nice and thick. (Add a little water, stock, or tomato juice if it’s too thick.) If you like, let the mixture cool down and refrigerate, then reheat it after a day or two. Serve hot, over rice.