Here’s a handy recipe that’s not only delicious, but makes use of ginger, well known for its anti-nausea effects as well as its cancer-fighting properties.
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Butter or hard margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Fancy molasses
- 1 Egg yolk (large)
- 2 cups (500 ml) All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2 ml) Baking soda
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) Ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) Ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) salt
- Cream butter, sugar, molasses and egg yolk together until light.
- Add next eight ingredients. Mix well. Wrap in plastic and chill at least one hour. Roll out. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Arrange on baking sheet. Bake in 350°F (175°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Cool.
- Frosting: Beat egg white with spoon in medium bowl. Beat in as much icing sugar as needed until icing will hold its shape. Ice cookies. Makes 12 to 16 gingerbread men cookies or a variety of other shapes.
Shape 1/4 to 1/3 cup (60 to 75 mL) dough into ball. Insert wooden stick. Place on greased cookie sheet. Press with bottom of tumbler to 1/4 inch (six millimetres) thick. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool.